Don't you just hate it when you're in the comfort of your own home and can't get some fresh clean air? Anything that tarnishes your indoor environment can really ruin your day at home, to say the least. But if you’ve got one of those air purifiers, then you're going to love every moment indoors and won’t ever want to go outside! Take a look below at some of the best tips to consider before buying an air purifier for your home.
What are Air Purifiers?
These state of the art creations are basically machines that help regulate the air indoors in your home to make it more clean and uncontaminated. There are many different kinds with many different purposes, the trick is figuring out which model has what features, and if it suits the room or the purpose in your household.
Tips for You Before Buying Any
There are certain things you need to look out for when picking the perfect purifier for your home. Take a look below at this list of helpful tips:
1. Why Do You Need It?
You need to ask yourself why you need this in the first place. Do you want it for general air quality improvement or other specific reason? Some people might need it because of allergies or a particular breathing issue, like having asthma. Maybe you're a heavy smoker and want the place fresh and clean for your guests. Whatever the reason is, you need to be sure of it so you can buy the right kind of purifier to carry out the task.
2. Where Do You Want To Put It
Specifying where exactly you’d like to have the purifier narrows down the choices when it comes to size and function. You can place it in the bedroom since it's where you spend most of your time. Also, these machines could have built-in wheels and handles to make it easier for you to move it around your home. Since they work best for only one room, it can come in handy to have portable features to move it around as you please.
3. Optimal Usage
It's a good idea to have more than one working in your home; pairing two different purifiers with different uses can be very optimal for air regulation in your room. Also, it's best not to turn it off- they are designed to be energy-efficient, so make sure the one you buy is eco-friendly and keep it on for constant fresh and clean air. Remember to keep the windows shut for better results.
4. Maintenance and Upkeep
You need to follow the instruction manual's recommendations when it comes to changing your filters, they are different depending on every type and how bad the room's air is. Other than changing them regularly, you need to take into consideration the average lifespan of the filter and the price to replace it in the future.
Although some purifiers don't have filters for your convenience like the UV light type, they do need certain maintenance and checkups from time to time. Check the instruction manual first or contact the manufacturer if you would like to know the best time for checkups and to find out if it needs to be done annually or bi-annually before you make a decision.
It’s important to make sure that the purifier that you invest one is a quiet one, because there are some models that tend to produce quite a bit of noise, and this can get pretty annoying to say the least! According to the people at A Quiet Refuge, silent air purifiers are worth the investment to get rid of the unwanted pollutants while not making noise that can really prove to be a pain over time.
Having an air purifier that makes no noise is something you’ll find to be pretty important as you will want to have it running all day, and the last thing you want is constant whirring sound in the background while you’re trying to sleep or relax.
You need to be aware that if you buy a cheap air purifier with a short warranty, then you may find yourself replacing the machine sooner than expected. Do your research and choose an established and reputable manufacturer with a decent warranty. The best ones are those that offer five or six years on the main fan and all motor parts.
Bonus: Types That you Should Know of
There are a variety of choices for you in the market, it all depends on your budget and where you're putting it. Take a look below at some of the best ones:
- Electrostatic Filters: This type filters the air in a way where it charges the air particles in the room, then filters it inside the machine itself. Using Ozone, these machines have electrostatic charges that kill microbes, mold spores, and particulates by trapping it all within its state-of-the-art air filter.
- Ozone Generators and Ionizers: This type also charges the air particles when they come in contact with the ions, or the ozone they end up with that causes them to stick to surfaces around your room instead of floating in the air. Beware though that this type is not a good choice for people that have breathing problems, respiratory issues, or irritation against ozone in the air.
- Basic and HEPA Filters: It is very commonly used and purchased. These air cleaners are designed to simply take in the contaminated air that passes through its filter and trapping it through the freestanding model or your ventilation system. The filter needs to be changed monthly or bi-monthly.
- Activated Carbon Filters: This type is good when there are bad and unwanted smells in the room that you want to get rid of. It has an activated carbon filter that traps odors and gasses that pass through it and removes them from the air. They are designed to trap large volatile compounds also, making it a good choice for odor regulating your room.
- Ultraviolet Lights: The beauty of this purifier is that it has the power to deal with microbes, germs and sometimes even viruses. It's recommended to have two installed with your ventilation system in different areas, one over the coil of the house and one near an air handler. It would make your home germ free with clean, fresh air because they are designed to be germicidal thanks to the UV rays.
Breathe It In
You deserve fresh and clean air, especially in the comfort of your own home. Having one of these babies would make a huge difference in the overall atmosphere at home, staying clean, healthy, and refreshed all day and night. Investing in an air purifier is money well spent and will definitely give your home a brand new feel!